Sunday, November 23, 2008

The new "First Dog"

For the record this is what I think the Obama family should get as their new dog.


He's not mine - but my spoiled rotten dog is of the same breed - different color.

He's a Chinese Crested Powderpuff. Now, when you go to google him -this powderpuff word is an important one, and also what is most fascinating about this breed.

There are two "varieties" of this breed - the hairless and the powderpuff. Both varieties are born in the same litters, though the powderpuff is genetically recessive it suffers less genetic problems in life than the hairless variety. (i.e. teeth problems, hip problems etc.)

More importantly for our president-elect it makes the short list of dogs that are possibly hypoallergenic. I say possibly because there really is no such thing as a hypoallergenic dog - just one that doesn't bother a sensitive person. Like my husband for example - he is VERY allergic to cats and we recently discovered the short-haired dogs - hypothesized from trial and error around our friends Basset Hound.

Another plus? NO SHEDDING!!! The only time I find dog hair around my house is when we are trying to put off paying $50-$60 for grooming and letting our pup's hair grow far too long and out of control. It also starts to get matted at that point....and then we give in and cough up the coin!

I am a total neat/clean freak and CANNOT EVER, EVER have a dog that sheds. I would die! (And so might my husband....medically speaking)

Chinese Crested's are also GREAT apartment dogs - they do not require a lot of exercise at all, are small in size 10-13 lbs is average I think, and are great with kids and people!!

Without further ado - I introduce to you our lovable, huggable and oh so quirky pup - Armani! (this was 3 1/2 years ago!)
I think this would make a great dog for the Obama family don't you? Now - how the heck do I get them to read my blog?

No comments: